6 DIY Activities For The Burning Man Blues
You may have noticed a few strange occurrences this week: rush hour seems lighter, there are no lines at the grocery store and you can suddenly find parking in San Francisco. As many of us know, this is the week of Burning Man. The city has cleared out and headed to Black Rock Desert in Nevada to show off their creativity, display feats of engineering and adorn themselves in furry costumes.
There’s no time like this week to take advantage of these activities to fuel your senses and inspire the Maker in you:
1. Visit Burning Man art in the city: Both the Raygun Gothic Rocketship at the Embarcadero and Ecstacy in Hayes Valley were unveiled at Burning Man in years past. They are amazing feats of engineering, art and ingenuity and definitely worth a visit.
2. Take a class at Tech Shop. They are a great resource our us DIYers in the Bay Area. They offer over 20 classes a week in everything from laser cutting, sewing, electronics and CNC mills. Their current space is in Menlo Park and a second location will be opening in the heart of San Francisco soon.
3. Go to the Exploratorium! One of the most fun creative spaces for engineers and DIY freaks, I could spend hours getting lost in their exhibits. Best of all, It’s free tomorrow night.
4. Visit a science cafe. The East Bay Science Cafe is meeting tomorrow to talk particle physics with Dr. Beate Heinemann who will be discussing the Large Hadron Collider.
5. Take a walk in the wild with Forage SF. Learn about all the edibles growing in our back yard on this East Bay walk on September 4th. Future walks take black on both sides of the bridge, but they sell out quickly!
6. Go to Balsa Man. On Saturday evening, the same night that “the Man” will burn in Black Rock City, tiny pieces of art made out of balsa wood will be burnt off the San Francisco coast in what is akin to a much tinier and shorter Burning Man like event.
With so much cool stuff going on, this is a great week to be in town. Enjoy!
37.7749295 -122.4194155Tags: balsa man, burning man, exploratorium, maker, Science, tech shop